Postfix and Mailscanner sitting in a tree k-iss-ing

paddy paddy at PANICI.NET
Thu Dec 30 15:00:51 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 07:54:22PM +0000, Drew Marshall wrote:
> Steen, Glenn wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure the "rift" would be healed that easy. Not unless we stop
> >perusing the queue files directly and start using one of the "official"
> >interfaces ([SMTP|LOCAL|PIPE], IIRC). I don't agree with Mr Venema on
> >this
> >point, I think we can view the queue files as "public interfaces" as
> >long
> >as there's publicly available source that details how it's "come
> >together",
> >but then again... I really don't think he cares what I think:-).
> >

> Or indeed any one else :-(
>
> >One could dream up a solution around the pipe interface where we could
> >invent a "MailScanner-Postfix" file format (I think someone already did
> >that once or twice), but I don't see much point in it... With the latest
> >fixes to make the (copied) queue files unique and the HOLD setup it is
> >pretty darned safe to use... and fast:-).
> >

> >IMO this seems to be less of a technical problem anymore, and more a
> >political/philosophical (and perhaps personal) thing. Just ignore the
> >postfix-users list and go on being happy with MailScanner and Postfix;).
> >

> I have to agree whole heartedly with all of the above. I have kinda
> reached that point myself. It works and works well so why should I worry
> about what the Postfix users list thinks? Their loss, my gain (IMHO).

I do!

Not even being a postfix user myself, you'd probably be happiest
ignoring my curiosity as well ! ;)

I get the general idea ... I'm interested in the details.  I understand the
"official" interfaces idea just fine.  What fascinates me is the question:

What is wrong with the sanctioned interfaces provided?

How is it not a technical problem?

(bear in mind, I know next to nothing about postfix, but I'm aware, for
example of ordinary unix pipes, or even of LMTP.  I believe I understand,
for example, why mailscanner can't be a milter)

In the past I've asked questions that had difficult answers and had to turn
my whole intuition upside-down to comprehend them, but the experience is
generally positive in the end.  I see technologies like mailscanner picking
up where the traditional MTA leaves off, and not without friction. I'm
deliriously happy with what I have, but not yet so complacent as to believe
that I can't learn more or that what I have can't be improved.  Worse than
that, I have the time for writing turgid apologies like this one ;)

Regards,
Paddy
--
Perl 6 will give you the big knob. -- Larry Wall