problems with "very long filename" rule?

Dan Hollis spamtrap71892316634 at ANIME.NET
Wed Dec 22 23:59:31 GMT 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Matt Kettler wrote:
> However, really, it's unlikely they got bounced, probably MailScanner
> issued a blocked attachment warning to the sender, which is similar, but
> not quite the same.
> I'd also double-check if they aren't quarantined anyway...

It turned out to be quarantined, but they didn't get a quarantine message,
only a blocked content message.

> If you've got this setting:
>          Notify Senders Of Blocked Filenames Or Filetypes = yes
> That setting will cause Mailscanner to send a failure message to the sender.
> However, it will also quarantine it if you have:
>          Quarantine Infections = yes

I have both enabled.

# ls -al iBL2hW0l004695
total 157
drwx------    2 root     root           88 Dec 20 18:43 .
drwx------  1014 root     root        32432 Dec 20 23:56 ..
-rw-------    1 root     root       124019 Dec 20 18:43 Inbox%3Fnumber=5.jpg

So it appears it's quarantining using the "repaired" filename.

It makes no sense to me for mailscanner to report a "long filename
violation" but report a "short repaired filename". There's no way to tell
what exactly the original filename was, then...

mailscanner should report the original filename when reporting a
violation.

-Dan