problems with "very long filename" rule?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Wed Dec 22 23:35:44 GMT 2004

At 06:17 PM 12/22/2004, Dan Hollis wrote:

>They don't get quarantined, they get rejected outright and bounced.
>
>I can't see any way to enable quarantine for 'deny' Filename Rules ?
>What exact MailScanner.conf entry enables quarantine for rule-denied files?

Hmm, I assume you mean they get bounced, as rejected and bounced doesn't
make sense. It's impossible to bounce something that's been rejected.
(hint: rejection involves a SMTP layer error code at the time of delivery,
bouncing is a post-delivery failure message. Very different things)

Besides, MailScanner can't reject mail anyway, it can only delete, bounce,
modify, quarantine, or generate a warning message.

However, really, it's unlikely they got bounced, probably MailScanner
issued a blocked attachment warning to the sender, which is similar, but
not quite the same.

I'd also double-check if they aren't quarantined anyway...

If you've got this setting:
         Notify Senders Of Blocked Filenames Or Filetypes = yes

That setting will cause Mailscanner to send a failure message to the sender.

However, it will also quarantine it if you have:
         Quarantine Infections = yes