problems with "very long filename" rule?

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Thu Dec 23 01:04:02 GMT 2004

Dan Hollis wrote:
> # ls -al iBL2hW0l004695
> total 157
> drwx------    2 root     root           88 Dec 20 18:43 .
> drwx------  1014 root     root        32432 Dec 20 23:56 ..
> -rw-------    1 root     root       124019 Dec 20 18:43 Inbox%3Fnumber=5.jpg
>
> So it appears it's quarantining using the "repaired" filename.
>
> It makes no sense to me for mailscanner to report a "long filename
> violation" but report a "short repaired filename". There's no way to tell
> what exactly the original filename was, then...
>
> mailscanner should report the original filename when reporting a
> violation.

It can be risky to use the original filename if it's intended to do
damage. Julian always sanitize logs and other stuff generated by MS. I
quarantine the message as queue files so I look into the Sendmail
df-file to see all attachments. If you really want to know I recommend
you do the same but why do you need to know the original name? It tells
you the reason for blocking the message, do you have to check if the
rule is working? That will get old real fast. :-)

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun