Share real email addresses between MailScanner and Exchange

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Fri Dec 17 17:32:14 GMT 2004

Milter-sender doesn't check recipient addresses so it's not going to
know who your local users are.  I use milter-sender as well but use ldap
for checking local recipeints.  The ldap directory determines the final
destination aka exchange environment.

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Errol Neal
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 11:00 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Share real email addresses between MailScanner and Exchange

MailScanner would not be the component of the mail gateway to do this.
This job would be the responsibility of the MTA.
If you are using Sendmail, you can use LDAP, or milter-sender. I choose
milter-sender because Imail's LDAP interface is screwy. Minimally
configured, it [milter-sender] can check the destination MTA to verify
that the mailbox actually exists. This is done before the message is
even queued for processing by MailScanner. If the mailbox does not
exists, it rejects the incoming message. When I implemented this some
time ago, I say a 50% drop in the amount of Spam coming into the system
I help manage.
I'm not sure what the other MTA's like Postfix or Exim provide.

Errol