virus scanning quarantine spam (MailScanner ANNOUNCE 4.37.2)

Chuck Foster chuck.foster at STREAMSHIELD.COM
Mon Dec 13 11:09:58 GMT 2004

Hi,

I took a quick look at this, but I'm not sure how it does it in the code?
I can see a $VirusBeforeSpamMCP variable being set in the MailScanner
binary, but couldn't see where it actually gets used so that
RemoveInfectedSpam() does something useful.

Probably just a Monday morning thing!

The way I'd originally envisaged resolving this pre-this-release was to
look at swapping over the AV and AS calls, on the basis that if something
is flagged as a virus people aren't really going to care that it is spam
as well ... we're working in a situation where customers may want to
quarantine spam messages or not, and I couldn't really see the point of
virus-scanning something that is to be thrown away, but also didn't want
it stored without being checked. Your method probably sorts that dilemma
out, though a ruleset to determine whether to remove the infected message
or not would be useful!

Best Wishes,
Chuck