Bayes.lock issue

Michael Freeman admin at thenamegame.com
Tue Dec 7 04:07:13 GMT 2004

I installed the latest version of MS available from the MS site.

Last night after we started MS the server crashed. We weren’t sure
why it went down but it seemed like our server crashed about 15min after
MS was started. It may have been a co incidence but when restarting MS we
get this error.

Starting MailScanner daemons:

         incoming exim:                                    [  OK  ]

         outgoing exim:                                    [  OK  ]

         MailScanner:       SA bayes lock is
/var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/bayes.lock

Bayes lock is at /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/bayes.lock

SA bayes lock is /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/bayes.lock

Bayes lock is at /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/bayes.lock

We have MS running on 5 servers and we have never had to wrestle with
this error before. This was a fresh installation of MS.

Out ms runs as user mailnull.mail

/var/spool/ is chown mailnull.mail and so is the spamassassin directory.
Tried turning off bayes just to see if we could get this started but none
of the options in spam.assassin.prefs.conf allow us to turn of stupid
bayes. Can somebody show us exactly how to turn it off or tell us why we
are getting this error?

Thanks