strange glitch results in lost mail

Evert Ford richard_cipher at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jul 14 19:36:46 IST 2003

since you aren't having any mail delivery problems when you start sendmail
outside of MailScanner, I'd suggest looking at your whitelist rules and
blacklist rules, and next I'd suggest looking for a configuration error in
MailScanner.conf.  I had a similar problem until I whitelisted the internal
domains I manage.

in MailScanner.conf,  look at the following settings(just for starters):
MTA = sendmail
and
Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
if you are using a standard install path on Redhat 7.3 for sendmail

also, are you seeing any errors in your maillog on the e-mails that aren'd
delivered?

Evert Ford
Information Analyst
Westone Laboratories
http://www.westone.com
  -----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Chris Yuzik
  Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 11:54 AM
  To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
  Subject: strange glitch results in lost mail

  Hi everyone,

  I have SpamAssassin and MailScanner running on my RedHat 7.3 machine. The
server is running Ensim WEBppliance PRO 3.5.10. The server hosts about a
dozen domains. I run sendmail and procmail. Almost everything works great.
Almost.

  Mail from the outside world works as expected, gets scanned and scored and
so forth. I've got SA's threshold set to 5 and am running DCC and Razor...in
the two days I tested it over the weekend, it correctly identified 99%+ of
spam.

  My big problem is that sometimes mail from within the server never
arrives...never bounces...just goes to a black hole.

  I'll list some examples so it makes more sense:

  1) let's pretend that domain1.com and domain2.com are hosted on my server.
external1.com is not hosted on my server.
  2) steve at domain1.com and john at domain1.com can both sent to and receive
email from susan at external1.com just fine. dave at domain2.com and
scott at domain2.com can also sent to and receive email from
susan at external1.com to. Internal to the outside world works.
  3) steve at domain1.com can not email john at domain1.com and vice-versa.
Internal to internal is not working.
  4) it gets stranger. dave at domain2.com can send email to scott at domain2.com,
but not the other way around. If scott replies to dave's message, then dave
never gets the reply.

  As I said before, the message doesn't bounce or anything...it just goes
into a black hole and is never seen again.

  When I installed MailScanner, the documentation said I was supposed to do
the following (which is what I did):
  1) "service sendmail stop"
  2) "service MailScanner start"

  In an attempt to troubleshoot the problem, I tried the following:
  1) "service MailScanner stop"
  2) "service sendmail start"
  3) "service MailScanner start"

  Now everyone can email everyone else: internal<-> internal and
internal<->external just fine. Unfortunately, now nothing gets processed
through spamassassin.

  How do I go about fixing this?

  Please help.

  Regards,