Sophos and TNEF

Shawn Iverson iversons at rushville.k12.in.us
Wed Sep 26 00:07:15 UTC 2018

I'm not entirely certain the answer to this, but TNEF expansion will work
in either scenario when enabled.  A/V scanners will still scan the files
nonetheless after they are expanded, even if they have the support built-in.

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 7:38 PM Kevin Miller <kevin.miller at juneau.org>
wrote:

> I just installed the Sophos Antivirus for Linux and was wading through
> MailScanner.conf.  I noticed this section:
> "Expand TNEF attachments using an external program (or a Perl module)?
>  This should be "yes" unless the scanner you are using (Sophos, McAfee) has
>  the facility built-in. However, if you set it to "no", then the filenames
>  within the TNEF attachment will not be checked against the filename
> rules."
>
> I set it to
>   Expand TNEF  = no
>
> However I'm also using clamav which, AFAIK, doesn't have a built in TNEF
> expander.  So I'm wondering if I should set it to Yes instead so that
> clamAV can also scan the message.  I presume that Sophos will be able to
> scan it regardless of whether it's pre-expanded or not.  Is that a correct
> assumption?
>
> TIA...
>
> ...Kevin
> --
> Kevin Miller
> Network/email Administrator, CBJ MIS Dept.
> 155 South Seward Street
> Juneau, Alaska 99801
> Phone: (907) 586-0242, Fax: (907) 586-4588 Registered Linux User No: 307357

Shawn Iverson, CETL
Director of Technology
Rush County Schools
765-932-3901 x1171