Scanned Modify Subject

Richard Mealing rich at richsphere.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 16:22:35 UTC 2018

On 21-11-2018 00:36, Shawn Iverson via MailScanner wrote:

> I will
test this on the current mailscanner and see if I can reproduce it.

<rich at richsphere.co.uk> wrote:

>> Hi list,
>>
>> I have a
requirement to set external email tag in the subject line for all
scanned external emails coming into a certain domain. I have set this up
and everything seems to work fine.

>> When a user replies the
client adds a 're' tag to the subject and the further external reply
(now the 3rd email) mailscanner cannot detect it's original tag and so
adds another EXTERNAL EMAIL to the subject line.

>> So the email
subject looks like this - EXTERNAL EMAIL: RE: EXTERNAL EMAIL: TEST
SUBJECT

>> I have added the tag at the end of the subject line and
that fixes the problem, however the user would like me to try and fix
this behaviour so they can add the tag at the start of the subject line.

>> I am running a fairly old 4.85.2 version of mailscanner. I am
just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this? Can mailscanner
search for the tag in the subject line and then not add another tag if
it finds the tag?

>> Thank you.
>>
>> Rich
>> --
>>
>> --

> Shawn Iverson, CETL
> Director of Technology
> Rush County
Schools
> 765-932-3901 option 7
> iversons at rushville.k12.in.us

Hi
Shawn,

I believe this has been discussed before.
http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2003-December/024227.html

Jules rightly says the email client adds the RE tag to the subject so
I can't see a way around this behaviour. Now I have this set in a
ruleset I can't see how mailscanner could search for the domain in the
rules file, then search every email for that domains subject header for
the tag I set inside the rules file. I personally think it would cause a
lot of extra load, unless someone could figure out a better way? I
can't.

I have this -

Scanned Modify Subject =
%rules-dir%/modify.scanned.subject.rules

 To: default no

 To:
richsphere.co.uk yes

And then this -

Scanned Subject Text =
%rules-dir%/scanned.subject.text.rules

 To: default {Scanned} # This
would never be used unless the modify.scanned.subject.rules 'default'
line is set to 'yes'

 To: richsphere.co.uk [EXTERNAL EMAIL]

If you
keep going it just builds up the subject line as so -

[EXTERNAL EMAIL : ] Re: [EXTERNAL EMAIL : ] Re: [EXTERNAL EMAIL : ] Re:
Test

Thanks,

Rich
--