Spam List = spamhaus-ZEN ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 5 04:02:56 UTC 2017

On 7/4/17 12:04 AM, Remco Barendse wrote:

> I found a much cleaned up version of spam.lists.conf which is good but
> have some question on the format. The default MailScanner.conf says :
> Spam List = spamhaus-ZEN # You can un-comment this to enable them

It actually says

Spam List = # spamhaus-ZEN # You can un-comment this to enable them

> But the spam.lists.conf says :
> # http://barracudacentral.org/rbl
> BARRACUDA                       b.barracudacentral.org
>
> # aggregate list - http://www.sorbs.net/using.shtml
> SORBS                           dnsbl.sorbs.net
>
> # aggregate list - http://www.spamhaus.org/zen/
> SPAMHAUS                        zen.spamhaus.org
>
> # aggregate list - https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml
> SPAMCOP                         bl.spamcop.net

And it also says:

# I dragged this file kicking and screaming into this decade. The number of
# reliable lists is limited IMHO. Feel free to add your own.
# 23 Jan 2016 - Jerry Benton

among other relevant comments.

> Am i right that MailScanner.conf should contain :
> Spam List = BARRACUDA SORBS SPAMHAUS SPAMCOP

If you want to use exactly those 4 lists.

> but not spamhaus-ZEN ?

right, unless you define it, but SPAMHAUS already points there so to use
that list include SPAMHAUS, but not spamhaus-ZEN in Spam List.

> (If yes, maybe something to fix in the repository?)

Yes, the commented entry in MailScanner.conf is misleading. I've created
<https://github.com/MailScanner/v5/pull/59> to address this.

> I also noticed that cbl.abuseat.org is no longer there, these guys are
> still going strong (i use cbl.abuseat.org as a blocklist even in my
> sendmail config).

See Jerry's comment above.