duplicate subject lines in headers (again)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 13 17:45:28 UTC 2016

On 11/12/2016 06:11 PM, Warwick Brown wrote:
>> It does seem likely that this is specific to MailScanner with Exim, and
>> it (at least the older issue) is reportedly fixed before your 4.85.2
>> which makes me think that your "horrendously complex" environment and
>> resultant Exim config may be at least part of the issue.
>
> I will privately mail you my exim config....don't really want it in public domain

Thanks for sending all the info.

See the post at
<http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2009-September/093190.html>.
This shows an excerpt from an Exim queue entry with a duplicate
Subject:. The key is that the line

015  Subject: test

should actually be

015* Subject: test

to tell Exim to delete that line. The missing asterisk issue was "fixed"
a long time ago. The current code has the fix.

Can you try a test for me?

The test would be

1) stop the outgoing Exim only - leave the incoming Exim running.
2) send yourself a message with trailing space(s) in Subject:
3) copy /var/spool/exim.out for later examination
4) start the outgoing Exim

Then examine the copy of /var/spool/exim.out and find your message which
should have two 'nnn  Subject: ...' lines (nnn is the number of
characters in the header). What you should see is the original one with

nnn  Subject: ...

and the added one (probably above the original) with trailing spaces
removed and an asterisk.

nnn* Subject: ...

If there is no asterisk, There is a problem with MailScanner. If there
is an asterisk and the message gets delivered with two Subject: headers,
the problem is in the outgoing Exim.

If you can do this test, let us know what you find.