duplicate subject lines in headers (again)

Warwick Brown Warwick.x.Brown at serco.com
Sun Nov 13 20:36:44 UTC 2016

> Can you try a test for me?
>
> The test would be
>
> 1) stop the outgoing Exim only - leave the incoming Exim running.
> 2) send yourself a message with trailing space(s) in Subject:
> 3) copy /var/spool/exim.out for later examination
> 4) start the outgoing Exim
>
> Then examine the copy of /var/spool/exim.out and find your message which
> should have two 'nnn  Subject: ...' lines (nnn is the number of
> characters in the header). What you should see is the original one with
>
> nnn  Subject: ...
>
> and the added one (probably above the original) with trailing spaces
> removed and an asterisk.
>
> nnn* Subject: ...
>
> If there is no asterisk, There is a problem with MailScanner. If there
> is an asterisk and the message gets delivered with two Subject: headers,
> the problem is in the outgoing Exim.
>
> If you can do this test, let us know what you find.

Nice and quick test.....not the answer you were hoping for though:

018  X-Spam-Status: No
076  X-MyOrg-MailScanner-Watermark: 1479672988.91017 at AfSF0dfSQNo9m+YscRQWqA
033  Subject: Has two trailing spaces
048  X-MyOrg-MailScanner-From: me at externaldomain.com
038  X-MyOrg-MailScanner-SpamScore: 4
204  X-MyOrg-MailScanner-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=4.107,
        required 6, ALL_TRUSTED -1.00, INVALID_MSGID 1.17, MISSING_DATE 1.40,
        MISSING_FROM 1.00, MISSING_HEADERS 1.21, MSGID_SHORT 0.34)
044  X-MyOrg-MailScanner: Found to be clean
046  X-MyOrg-MailScanner-ID: 1c61C4-0001vp-58
096  X-MyOrg-MailScanner-Information: Please report any suspicious emails to phishing at myorg.com
253P Received: from [10.11.12.13] (port=57525 helo=moo)
        by smtp.myorg.com with esmtps (TLSv1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256)
        (Exim 4.86)
        (envelope-from <me at externaldomain.com>)
        id 1c61C4-0001vp-58
        for warwick at myorg.com; Sun, 13 Nov 2016 20:16:28 +0000
024I Message-ID: Faked-By-Me
035  Subject: Has two trailing spaces

I checked the file in vi and the subject on the bottom line definitely has the trailing spaces.

The delivered mail contains both subject lines - interestingly - Exchange seems to strip the modified subject line, but I did another test and sent it to a courier IMAP server, the mail file clearly shows both subjects:

Subject: {Spam?} Trailing spaces
Subject: Trailing spaces

Blah

So I'm afraid it does look like MailScanner rather than exim....

do we need to dig down into perl modules? When I built MailScanner, I gave it it's own installation of Perl so it wouldn't get messed up by the system-provided (RPM based) perl (so perl is installed in /opt/Mailscanner/bin/perl) and I updated all the install and run-time scripts to use this specific version of perl. See below:

# /opt/MailScanner/bin/perl -v

This is perl 5, version 22, subversion 1 (v5.22.1) built for x86_64-linux-thread-multi

Copyright 1987-2015, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

# grep perl MailScanner
#!/opt/MailScanner/bin/perl -U -I/opt/MailScanner/lib
    if ($path =~ m#/usr/(local/)?lib\d*/perl\d*/\d\.\d#) {
  # perl5 paths in @corepaths. We want notcore + core, so the notcore ones
    print STDERR "\n\n**** ERROR: You must upgrade your perl IO module to at least\n**** ERROR: version 1.2301 or MailScanner will not work!\n\n";
    print STDERR "\n\n**** ERROR: You must upgrade your perl IO::Stringy module to at least\n**** ERROR: version 2.110 or MailScanner will not work!\n\n";
  # Read the configuration file properly
  # Read the configuration file properly
  # Read the configuration file properly
      # This child's parent is perl
    MailScanner::Log::WarnLog("WARNING: You are trying to use the Processing Attempts Database but your DBI and/or DBD::SQLite Perl modules are not properly installed!");
    MailScanner::Log::WarnLog("WARNING: You are trying to use the Processing Attempts Database but your DBI and/or DBD::SQLite Perl modules are not properly installed!");
#

The perl has all the right modules installed, however I am aware I need to do some work (as per the lint output) on the DBI module

Thanks again,

Warwick