forwarded emails

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Oct 21 23:25:47 UTC 2015

On 10/21/2015 03:58 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
> I figured that the forwarding would happen before MailScanner gets involved.  I.e., in their virtuserfile or whatever passes for that if not using sendmail.

I'm not sure about sendmail or other non-Postfix MTAs which is why I
said "I don't think so.".

However, for Postfix, MailScanner processes the message before any
virtual mappings, aliases, .forwards, etc. are applied. With Postfix, at
least with the recommended configuration, the incoming message is
immediately placed in the HOLD queue. It is then processed by
MailScanner and if it passes MailScanner, it is requeued in Postfix's
INCOMING queue and only then is vitrual mapping, aliasing, etc applied.