Reliably reloading configuration?

Steve Weigold steve at weigoldenterprises.com
Thu Dec 10 21:33:07 UTC 2015

First, is anyone else noticing a failure of list messages to come
through in the last 12-24 hours?  I sent a follow up to my score
modifications email which didn't come through, and I see by looking at
the list archive that Jerry Benton responded with a suggestion of
restarting SpamAssassin which didn't come through either.  :-/

In any case, I'm finding that my problem was less about finding where to
put score modifications and other custom rules, and apparently more
about reliably reloading the configuration for SpamAssassin.   I've been
fighting this all day and I'm finding that the problem seems to be that
even with restarts, SpamAssassin doesn't seem to be reliably re-reading
the configuration.

I've tried all manner of restarts of MailScanner and SpamAssassin as
well as combining that with sequences of testing configs with --lint.  I
can't seem to find anything that works reliably.   As a reminder this is
a Debian Jessie system.  I'm not seeing anything indicating an error in
syslog or mail.log on restart.

Currently, I have several modifications to standard test scores in
/etc/spamassasin/local.cf.  I also have a simple custom rule. Somehow,
at some point in my testing today, I got them to be recognized, and my
updated scores are being used.  Further, my test rule of:

body WE_TRUMP   /\btrump/i
score WE_TRUMP 1
describe WE_TRUMP       Tired of hearing about Trump this and Trump that

Is being processed, and I can see it when I look at the headers for test
messages.   In testing, I've been trying to change the score value,
restart, and then send another test message, but my changes seem
ignored, again as if  despite the restart, the configuration isn't being
reloaded.

I'm getting frustrated and I'm at a loss as to what to do next to figure
this out.  Suggestions?

Thanks.
Steve