Score modifications seem to be ignored?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 10 17:56:51 UTC 2015

On 12/10/2015 09:07 AM, Steve Weigold wrote:

> Since the rules I want to tweak are in the compiled ruleset, do I
>
> A - find the ruleset files, change the ratings and recompile with
> sa-compile?  Some other variation of this approach?  Are my revised
> rules at risk of being overwritten with an update?

Yes, your rules will be overwritten in an update.

> B - make my own similar custom rule (somehow) to ones I feel I want to
> increase?  Presumably those would go in spam.assassin.prefs.conf?

You don't need the entire rule, just the new score. You have various
options on where to put this.

Settings in the *.cf files in /etc/mail/spamassassin/ (or maybe
/etc/spamassassin/) supplement or override defaults. These files are
processed in lexical order and the last setting of any barticular thing
is effective. See
<http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/WhereDoLocalSettingsGo>

There should be a symlink like mailscanner.cf ->
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf in this directory, so you can
put settings in /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf. There is also
normally a local.cf file there you can use.

I have my own x-local.cf file in which I put things like score changes
for various rules.

After adding your

score RULE_MAME n.n

line to one of these places, run sa-compile and reload spamd.

Also, any crons you have that update rules such as sa-update, or scripts
such as ScamNailer should also run sa-compile and reload spamd.