ot a bit: sendmail and TO mx not found

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Tue Sep 2 15:55:38 IST 2014

Can you provide a proper example of a domain that exhibits this
behaviour?  Having a non-resolvable primary MX is pretty rare, so I'd be
pretty surprised to see this happening very often.

I suspect it's likely caused by your wildcard A record on your domain:

smf at i7-desktop:~$ host sdlkfjsdklfjsdklfjsldf.conviator.com
sdlkfjsdklfjsdklfjsldf.conviator.com has address 86.58.185.222

And the interaction between that and your search path in resolv.conf.

I bet if you type something like:

ping sdklfjsdkljfskl.skdfjsdkjfs

On that server - it will resolve to 86.58.185.222.

Regards,
Steve.