ot a bit: sendmail and TO mx not found

Alex Neuman alex at vidadigital.com.pa
Tue Sep 2 23:17:22 IST 2014

It's the wildcard A record + wrongly configured DNS that resolves anything
to *.conviator.com which then fails.

Remove the "search conviator.com" from /etc/resolv.conf or fix your
wildcard DNS.

*Alex Neuman van der Hans*Reliant Technologies / Vida Digital
http://vidadigital.com.pa/
<http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fvidadigital.com.pa%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=e1d187e7-61d3-4f47-f588-00f93bb763ba>

Mobile: +507-6781-9505
Work: +507-832-6725
Work (USA): +1-440-253-9789
Skype: AlexNeuman
<http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=bfa3daa4-f1d7-49ca-85e8-fcd28b94b87c>

Don't miss Vida Digital on LiveStream
<http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnew.livestream.com%2Faccounts%2F5061819&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=575065a1-7cbb-490f-97a1-ce09bbd26671>
!
Saturdays 8am-10am on 104.3FM Panama

Follow *@AlexNeuman
<http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Falexneuman&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=dcba2378-4808-4e8e-d1c8-505fae46ff68>*
on
Twitter
Like Vida Digital
<http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.com%2Fvidadigital%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=18d40ca5-10e0-4f1e-9893-aa673206b926>
on
Facebook
Follow VidaDigital
<http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Finstagram.com%2Fvidadigital&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=7829149b-3bcb-4310-ce33-f6461c43e95f>
on
Instagram
Subscribe to Vida Digital
<http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutube.com%2Freliantpty&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=96ad93eb-256e-4aac-e915-89f0846ee63e>
on
Youtube

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com>
wrote:

> Can you provide a proper example of a domain that exhibits this
> behaviour?  Having a non-resolvable primary MX is pretty rare, so I'd be
> pretty surprised to see this happening very often.
>
> I suspect it's likely caused by your wildcard A record on your domain:
>
> smf at i7-desktop:~$ host sdlkfjsdklfjsdklfjsldf.conviator.com
> <http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdlkfjsdklfjsdklfjsldf.conviator.com%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=13e78ada-4673-4526-e177-6b05f4327235>
> sdlkfjsdklfjsdklfjsldf.conviator.com
> <http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsdlkfjsdklfjsdklfjsldf.conviator.com%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=cbf7b718-6e2f-4a50-d4ac-a1d6e2c93f5d>
> has address 86.58.185.222
>
> And the interaction between that and your search path in resolv.conf.
>
> I bet if you type something like:
>
> ping sdklfjsdkljfskl.skdfjsdkjfs
>
> On that server - it will resolve to 86.58.185.222.
>
> Regards,
> Steve.
>
> On 02/09/14 13:19, ja at conviator.com wrote:
> > hi
> > its a bit OT but I hope its OK anyway. We are also using Mailscanner as
> > outbound scanner and see a problem that I cannot figure out - probably
> > some setting im missing.
> > sometimes "we" send emails to a domain where the primary MX record does
> > not resolve. I would have expected that sendmail would just try the next
> > but instead it resolves to mxrecord.name.OURDOMAIN.COM
> <http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmxrecord.name.ourdomain.com%2F&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=2f3fbc41-7d8c-4880-df73-c12948711e5f>
> (I think) - it
> > seams it appends our domain and then tries this server and this server
> > says "no thanks" so the delivery fails.
> > I tried to lookup the MX myself using the same nameserver as the
> > mailscanner server is using - this fails so its not the DNS server that
> > appends something to make it resolveable or gives out a standard IP.
> > I also checked the resolve file to check that there is not search
> > setting that would make it search our domain for a valid IP/lookup.
> > how can I stop this behavior and make it try the next MX in line?
> > best regards
> > Jan

> <http://t.sigopn02.com/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwiki.mailscanner.info%2Fposting&ukey=agxzfnNpZ25hbHNjcnhyGAsSC1VzZXJQcm9maWxlGICAgKCUyroKDA&k=bac47b07-8e02-41d8-ebeb-0c6dad971052>

*Alex Neuman van der Hans*Reliant Technologies / Vida Digital
http://vidadigital.com.pa/

Mobile: +507-6781-9505
Work: +507-832-6725
Work (USA): +1-440-253-9789