OT: Do RBLs take precedence over access entries

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Mar 15 19:15:02 GMT 2013

On 3/15/2013 2:46 PM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Steve Campbell wrote on Fri, 15 Mar 2013 14:07:16 -0400:
>
>> I've added an entry at the top
>> of the access file to "OK" the sender, but the email still gets blocked.
> I *think* it is the access file that takes precedence. But I don't know,
> sorry.
> I have entries like
> CONNECT: domain
> in the last sendmail installation I have. But I'm not sure if it ever
> worked. We switched about the same time away from SORBS as it was giving
> too many FPs and the problem with the blocked mail servers went away.
>
>> I've informed the sender that she should be receiving some form of
>> notice that we have rejected their email, but they insist that they do
>> not get the notice, so I'm having a little trouble figuring out which IP
>> they're using this week.
> The log tells you.
Thanks Kai,

Unfortunately, I can't discern which log entry is the one I'm looking
for. I don't know for certain which domain is actually sending out the
email. I know the domain of the sender, obviously, but the relay, which
is what the log entries show, does not match the domain of the sender's
domain. A quick count of rejected emails totals more than 100 a minute here.

So far, the sender is not cooperating with me and providing the IP that
is reported on the return notice. If they feel it's important enough,
maybe they'll forward me the rejection notice (to a gmail account or
something other than here).

steve