OT: Do RBLs take precedence over access entries

Steve Freegard steve.freegard at fsl.com
Fri Mar 15 20:58:44 GMT 2013

On 15/03/13 18:07, Steve Campbell wrote:
> Does anyone know which takes precedence in sendmail: RBLs defined in
> sendmail.mc or the access file?
>
> I'm having a time with one customer who's domain uses a mail service or
> ISP that sends quite a bit of spam. I've blocked quite a bit of IPs in
> access, and some are more than likely ones the senders outgoing server
> is apart of, but see that a few of their IPs are listed in spamhaus
> also, which I use in sendmail (not MS). I've added an entry at the top
> of the access file to "OK" the sender, but the email still gets blocked.
>
> I've informed the sender that she should be receiving some form of
> notice that we have rejected their email, but they insist that they do
> not get the notice, so I'm having a little trouble figuring out which IP
> they're using this week.

Did you whitelist by the senders address or the source IP as it makes a
difference.

The access-map will take precedence but only if you have 'delay_checks'
enabled e.g.

FEATURE(`delay_checks')dnl

Otherwise the blacklisted address is rejected at connection time, so
Sendmail doesn't get to see the sender to apply any further access map
rules.

HTH,
Steve.