OT: Opinions wanted please

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Dec 21 15:18:01 GMT 2012

I've been asked to do  a dual task for one of our users. The user is
retiring and wants all of his email forwarded to another user. He also
wants a message returned to the sender indicating that he is retiring
and that from here on, all email should be addressed to the user his
email is being forwarded to.

I use sendmail, so the forwarding would normally be done in the alias
file. I don't like to do out-of-office requests, but this seems like a
way to handle the message he wants returned to the sender. I'm not sure
both would work at the same time anyway.

I use  the user's .procmailrc to handle the OOO stuff.

Can anyone suggest a better way to do this or an opinion on how I'm
thinking of doing this please?

I'd rather the retiring user to have handled the sender's notices before
leaving but that's not going to happen.

Thanks for any input.

steve campbell