OT - one gateway to multiple mail hubs/domains

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Fri Jun 24 16:04:02 IST 2011

--On Thursday, June 23, 2011 12:04:20 PM -0800 Kevin Miller
<Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us> wrote:

> Steve Campbell wrote:
>>
>> How do most of you who have multiple domains route your mail through
>> a singular gateway running MS to multiple mail hubs (server with
>> mailboxes)?
>
> I don't think I'd go w/just one MS gateway.  Eggs, basket, that sort of
> thing.  It's really handy being able to update/upgrade a gateway server
> and the users never notice the difference.

I'll second that.  Multiple MX records to multiple mailscanners to
handle normal inbound traffic, plus a mobile IP in a clustered
configuration to handle road warriors works wonders (but that's
getting more OT).

I don't think you mentioned your MDA, but if you're in the situation
where you're needing multiple multiple servers to handle the mailbox
load, Cyrus Murder is a robust and scalable solution.  Cyrus can also
be easily clustered if you also have to handle failover at the MDA
level.

Devin