OT - one gateway to multiple mail hubs/domains

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Thu Jun 23 21:04:20 IST 2011

Steve Campbell wrote:
> Overtime time:
>
> How do most of you who have multiple domains route your mail through
> a singular gateway running MS to multiple mail hubs (server with
> mailboxes)?
>
> I'd like to consolidate my mail servers running sendmail and MS into
> one gateway. Right now, I have one server per domain, but see no
> reason why I can't put up a single incoming gateway for all domains
> which could route the mail to the mail hubs.
>
> I've used SmartHost for a single instance of domains, and think I
> could use virtual table , but just thought I'd ask.
>
> steve campbell

I don't think I'd go w/just one MS gateway.  Eggs, basket, that sort of thing.  It's really handy being able to update/upgrade a gateway server and the users never notice the difference.  They're all connecting to an internal Exchange server.  Being able to bring my MailScanner boxes up or down w/o them noticing is a real treat.

I service several domains and just use the mailertable to route to the appropriate inside host. I don't use the virtual table at all.  At the gateway level I don't care about users so much as domains.  I do use smf-sav to verify recipients at the gateway but then just send the messages to the appropriate server.  Works well for us...

I'm running sendmail FWIW...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500