DATA command query

Martin Hepworth maxsec at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 21:03:30 GMT 2011

Depends on how your data flows - but perceived wisdom today is not for mail
clients (MUAs) to access mailservers via SMTP on port25 but another port
such as 587, This way you can separate and apply different controls for MUA
to MTA's very easily. eg MUA must authenticate and talk SSL. Also perhaps
MUA traffic isn't scanned for spam but still viruses.

Also if your outlook and mailserver are on the internal network and
Mailscanner isn't on the mailserver machine why not just have the outlook
clients talk directly to the mailserver?

--
Martin Hepworth
Oxford, UK