Whitelist-Blacklist question + one more

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Wed Dec 7 23:59:13 GMT 2011

Steve Campbell wrote:
> I started thinking about the user whitelist-blacklist function that's
> in MailWatch. Now I'm wondering can that be used along side the
> global spam.whitelist.rules file or is it a either/or type setup?

My understanding is you either use the black/white lists in MailScanner, or the ones in /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.[white][black]list.rules but can't use both.

> Another question I've started thinking about:
>
> Can I have a gateway running MS that is configured as a SmartHost? In
> other words, does the new sendmail instance that MS creates when it's
> installed interfere with a normal instance of sendmail configured as
> a SmartHost on the same server?

Sure, if I'm understanding you right.  You won't have sendmail running as a different instance apart from MailScanner though.  To have your MS box receive mail for other domains and forward it to the internal host just edit /etc/mail/mailertable.  For instance, mine (sorta) looks like this:
ci.juneau.ak.us		esmtp:[192.168.55.173]
mail.ci.juneau.ak.us	esmtp:[192.168.55.173]
jneaupolice.com		emstp:[192.168.35.23]

After you edit mailertable don't forget to do this as root:
	makemap hash mailertable < mailertable

In /etc/mail/relaydomains I also have the domains which I'll relay for.

There are just two instances of sendmail running, both started by the MailScanner process.  I.e., a stock set up. You don't want sendmail running on its own outside of MailScanner.  MailScanner will pick up the inbound mail, put it in /var/spool/mqueue.in, scan it, then put it in /var/spool/mqueue where the 2nd instance of sendmail (the queue runner) picks it up and delivers it to the appropriate internal host based on the domain it's targeted for.

HTH...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500