Bunch of issues with installing MailScanner on Ubuntu LTS 10.04 (reply to Craig and Markus)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 9 04:00:49 IST 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 16:14 +0200, Martijn wrote:
> [...]
> > it was rather painful. The MailScanner program and this list misses
> > Julian very much.
> >
> > In short, the ubuntu/debian package is extremely old (4.79) and I ended
> > up using the latest beta which solves all sorts of problems with
> > tainting and perl 5.10.x
> >
> > Thus I had to do a few things by hand.
> >
> > [...]
> > I can provide the /etc/init.d/mailscanner script and the extra script if
> > you decide to go with the latest beta tarball (and I would definitely
> > recommend that).
> >
> > Craig
> Thanks Craig, I'll let you know if I'd like to have those. I was hoping
> to stick to installing from a reputable (Debian/Ubuntu) repository
> though. I have to see if it's worth the trouble.
>
> For the record: you did try running a recent/non-beta version first,
> right? Did anyone attempt to construct a newer .deb?
>

> > Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 14:02:58 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Markus Nilsson<markus at markusoft.se>
> > Subject: Re: Bunch of issues with installing MailScanner on Ubuntu LTS
> > 	10.04
> >
> > Hi Martijn
> >
> > Relating the directory permissions, maybe you need to review your configuration settings for the work dirs? See the well-commented configuration file under the section
> >
> > #
> > # Incoming Work Dir Settings
> > # --------------------------
> > #
> >
> > I'm guessing you want something like:
> > Incoming Work User = postfix
> > Incoming Work Group = postfix
> > Incoming Work Permissions = 0660
> >
> > Also check what group your clam scanner is using, so that is configured with the same group!
> > (I.e if the clamd group is clamav, the group above should be clamav instead!)
> >

> > /Markus
> I have reviews the settings, they currently are:
>
> Incoming Work User =
> Incoming Work Group = clamav
> Incoming Work Permissions = 640
>
> So, user is empty. I believe that means that it defaults to the 'Run As
> User' value.
> Clamav is actually working as the clamav user in de clamav group.
>
> To test, I changed permissies on /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming to 777,
> but that still results in the same error:
>
> Could not read directory /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming at
> /usr/share/MailScanner//MailScanner/Config.pm line 2786
> Error in configuration file line 184, directory
> /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming for incomingworkdir does not exist (or
> is not readable) at /usr/share/MailScanner//MailScanner/Config.pm line 3146
> Could not read directory /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine at
> /usr/share/MailScanner//MailScanner/Config.pm line 2786
> Error in configuration file line 188, directory
> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine for quarantinedir does not exist (or
> is not readable) at /usr/share/MailScanner//MailScanner/Config.pm line 3146
----
mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin

chown postfix:clamav mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
chown postfix:postfix mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
chown postfix:postfix mkdir /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin

> Incoming Work User =
> Incoming Work Group = clamav
> Incoming Work Permissions = 640

These are correct

Make sure you also have these settings in MailScanner.conf

Run As User = postfix
Run As Group = postfix
Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
MTA = postfix
Quarantine Group = postfix

I think you can pretty much give up on the idea of anyone maintaining
deb packages for MailScanner - perhaps one day I might but I have my
hands full at the moment. That said, MailScanner installs just fine from
tarball and it's not so difficult to upgrade from a newer tarball.

Craig