Bitdefender AntiSpam: worth a try?

Dave Jones davejones70 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 13:18:44 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Dave Jones <davejones70 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >It looks like Bitdefender just released a free AntiSpam engine for mail
> >servers (Linux-based):
> >http://www.bitdefender.com/business/antispam-for-mail-servers.html
> >
> >Anyone tried it yet? If so, could it complement MailScanner?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Denis
>
> I downloaded and installed it but MailScanner doesn't seem to support
> this version yet in the virus.scanners.conf and the wrapper script.
>
> It seems to have some potential goodness since it runs as a daemon.
> I am using an old version of McAffee that is End-Of-Life on Dec 31 2010.
> It's terrible taking 3-6 seconds to start and load defs for each batch.
>
> Dave

Has anyone been able to integrate this into MailScanner yet?  Anyone looked
at it?

I just received a quote from CDW and the price is very good.  They license
by server
and not by mailbox/email address so 5 servers was under $150.00 US for a
year of
Security for Mail Servers (the middle one in the link below):

http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/business/antispam-for-mail-servers.html

The software does way more than needed when you already have MailScanner but
I would like to use the AV engine if it's worth anything.  Anyone have an
experience
with bitdefender AV in the past?

I'm running McAffee that is end-of-life soon so I'm willing to spend some
"free" time
this holiday season to learn how to integrate this into MS and contribute it
back as
long as I'm not waisting my time.

P.S.  Jules, if you want to give me a quote to do this, contact me offline.
 I bet you
could whip this out in no time and I would know that it's done right.

Dave