Bitdefender AntiSpam: worth a try?

Denis Beauchemin Denis.Beauchemin at USherbrooke.ca
Mon Nov 15 21:08:02 GMT 2010

Le 2010-11-15 15:50, Kevin Miller a écrit :
> Taking just a quick glance at it, I see it runs as a milter in
> Sendmail.  As such, it would be called before MailScanner so
> integration wouldn't make sense in that case.  I'm not sure about the
> other MTA configurations, since I'm not running them and didn't look.
> Are you just trying to use the antivirus part?  If it has a command
> line option then it could probably be integrated using the custom
> scanner featrue in MailScanner.  But it looks like it's trying to be a
> full featured anti-spam/anti-virus package.  I.e., it's more a
> replacement for MailScanner rather than an augmentation to it.
> Again though, my thoughts are based on a 5 minute glance at the web
> page, so I could be missing the bigger picture...
>
> ...Kevin
> --
> Kevin Miller                Registered Linux User No: 307357
> CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
> 155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
> Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500

I've looked at the docs and it really looks like a MS replacement
without the antivirus part. They left it out of their free offering.

They have an interesting twist on phishing and malware detection: they
push definitions based on user feedback (a la sa-learn --ham/spam). They
collect those submissions from all participating clients. The
definitions are screened by humans (so they say) before being pushed to
all customers.

It may be a replacement for Barricade/MX. We'll be evaluating it as such.

Denis

--
Denis Beauchemin, analyste
Université de Sherbrooke, S.T.I.