Bug in incomplete link handling in phishing checks

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Nov 7 14:08:42 GMT 2010

Derek has found a bug in the handling of incomplete HTML "a" tags, which
bites when doing phishing checks. The symptom is that the rest of the
email HTML body after the unterminated link gets chopped off.

I have proposed a fix for this, which he is testing for me.
I would be very greatful if some other people could test it too, to
ensure it doesn't cause any other problems.

It's a very short patch to /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm.
The patch file (gzipped) is attached. If it won't apply with the commands
     gunzip /tmp/BrokenA_patch.txt.gz
     cd /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner
     patch -p0 < /tmp/BrokenA_patch.txt
then just cat the patch file and you'll see the new code to be added.
It's a tiny change.

Any reports good or bad are most welcome!

Sorry I haven't been around for so long, we've been down in staff at
work (1 of my guys left for a better-paid job, and we've had a Voluntary
Severance scheme too, which has caused a lot of people to leave). Also
our student numbers are up massively from last year (PhD students
doubled, MSc up by 35%) so the start of the academic year has been
ridiculously hectic. As a result all my non-work time has been taken up
with resting, as I seem to be able to eat less than ever recently, which
is not good, but there's not a lot the docs can do about it now.

I will start to try to catch up, but if there's anything important that
I've missed which you need my help with, please do reply to this thread
and I'll try to take a look.

Thanks to all of you for providing such brilliant support (for me and
MailScanner!) over recent times.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng