Problem with new 'rename' action. was: Bug in incomplete link handling in phishing checks

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Nov 9 20:55:03 GMT 2010

On 11:59 AM, Jules Field wrote:
> Derek has found a bug in the handling of incomplete HTML "a" tags, which
> bites when doing phishing checks. The symptom is that the rest of the
> email HTML body after the unterminated link gets chopped off.
>
> I have proposed a fix for this, which he is testing for me.
> I would be very greatful if some other people could test it too, to
> ensure it doesn't cause any other problems.
>
> It's a very short patch to /usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/Message.pm.

I have just updated Mailscanner to 4.82.1-1 which apparently contains
the above patch. So far, I see no issues with the patch, but I did see
the following in my maillog upon restarting after the upgrade.

Nov  9 12:24:07 sbh16 MailScanner[32297]: Possible syntax error in first
keyword on line 22 of /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf

Refers to the line

rename	\.fdf$			Dangerous Adobe Acrobat data-file						Opening this file
can cause auto-loading of any file from the internet

Nov  9 12:24:07 sbh16 MailScanner[32297]: Possible syntax error in first
keyword on line 31 of /etc/MailScanner/filetype.rules.conf

Refers to the line

rename	Registry	Windows Registry entries (renamed)	Windows Registry
files (renamed)