subject matching spam.assassin.prefs.conf

Robert Lopez rlopezcnm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 15:39:14 GMT 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> Robert Lopez wrote on Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:55:27 -0700:
>
>> It was. :-)  It is "American Community College Survey For 2010"
>
> No, that was what you think it is.

The company who will do the survey guarantees the subject will be
exactly as they stated.
To test, I have been sending email from my gmail account to my college
account using that exact subject.
This postfix log file line says what I think it is and what it "was"
are the same.
I do not understand why you believe there may be a difference.
Here is the evidence they were the same:

Mar  1 11:07:53 mgxx postfix/cleanup[2689]: B288620F14: warning:
header Subject: American Community College Survey For 2010 from
qw-out-1920.google.com[74.125.92.144]; from=<xxxxxxxxxx at gmail.com>
to=<xxxxxxxxxx at mgxx.cnm.edu> proto=ESMTP helo=<qw-out-1920.google.com>

>> That did not make any difference.
>
> If that is so that means either
> - the subject is different

See above. It was not different

> - the message is not scanned

Is is the evidence it was scanned:

Mar  1 11:07:53 mgxx MailScanner[1353]: Message B288620F14.135F0 from
74.125.92.144 (xxxxxxxxxx at gmail.com) to mgxx.cnm.edu is not spam,
SpamAssassin (not cached, score=-6.501, required 6,
autolearn=disabled, CGC_1 -5.00, CGC_2 -5.00, CNM_NAME 0.50, CNM_PH1
3.00, SPF_PASS -0.00)

The rules for matching the subject did not get listed.

> - your SA does not use the file you put that rule in

The above evidence shows me it uses the
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf file because other rules I
put in it were used to calculate the score.

> - there's some other misconfiguration

Such as?

> If this was an SA list I would certainly explain to you now how to check
> directly with SA to eliminate no 1, 3 and 4.

Thank you for trying to help. However this is not a SA list. And you
have your standards for reasons I do not understand. I already
explained my questions are MailScanner questions and not Spamassassin
questions. The distinguishing point being my rules are inserted into a
MailScanner file.

>> Does MailScanner support the use of the "header" type rule in
>> spam.assassin.prefs.conf file
>> or more generally does MailScanner support all of the rule types
>> supported by Spamassassin
>> within the spam.assassin.prefs.conf file?
>
> No, MS doesn't support it.

You failed to make clear to what "it" refers.

>This is an SA file.

No /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf is not a SA file.
It is read by SA but the file is a part of the MailScanner as
evidenced by this from Julian's book, page 156:
"SpamAssassion Prefs File = %etc-dir%/spam.assassin.prefs.conf"

>SA supports it. SA is used by MS.

I take your word for it. I have not read all the code for MailScanner
so I do not know how the information from the file is accessed by SA.

I guess I am just going to have to modify a SpamAssassin file to add
my header rule there and see what happens.

Thank you for trying to help.

> Kai
>
> --
> Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com

Robert Lopez
Unix Systems Administrator
Central New Mexico Community College (CNM)
525 Buena Vista SE
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87106