Off Topic: Caching Bind Server Freezing

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Wed Jan 27 19:31:05 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Gottschalk, David <dgottsc at emory.edu>wrote:

> Does anyone here use Bind to cache DNS lookups on their MailScanner boxes?
>
> I have a bind caching server running on each of my MailScanner machines,
> and occasionally named will completely freeze up. I'm not sure why this is
> occurring. I thought it might have had to do with SpamHaus lookups hanging
> (they blocked our lookups), so I disabled them in my mailscanner.cf;
> however, that has not resolved the issue.
>
> I'm running version 9.2.4.

Hi David,

Are you blocking UDP:53 or TCP:53 with your iptables or upstream?  Do any
lookups work at all when its frozen (cached or other)?  Can you perform
lookups using other name servers from the machine?  (eg. dig @bitsy.mit.edu
emory.edu).  When it is frozen what does the output of lsof look like for
that process?  Are there a lot of network resources in use by the named
process when it freezes?

--
Landon Stewart <LStewart at SUPERB.NET>
SuperbHosting.Net by Superb Internet Corp.