PDF attachment being dropped silently by MailScanner

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 21 21:49:30 GMT 2010

Dave Jones quoted Mark Sapiro and wrote:

>>What is the full MIME structure of the message? What you show above is
>>only a piece. Show the Content-Type: header including boundary= for the
>>message itself and also show all boundaries and the Content-Type: from
>>all sub-parts.
>
>What I have above is all of the MIME information -- at least all that is shown
>from Outlook with "View Source".  Starting with the [...] is the MIME encoded
>attachment.
>
>I will see if I can get one sent to my gmail account so I can do a real "View
>Source" to see if it's an incomplete MIME header.  I am now suspecting the
>generating application is problem.

I think you must not understand what I'm asking.

You showed:

     ------_=_NextPart_002_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979--

     ------_=_NextPart_001_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979

This is only the terminating boundary from a prior multipart part and
the beginning of the application/pdf part.

The complete message may have headers and boundaries like

[...]

------_=_NextPart_001_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979

------_=_NextPart_002_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979
[plain text body]

------_=_NextPart_002_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979
[html body]

------_=_NextPart_002_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979--

------_=_NextPart_001_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979
[pdf attachmemt]

------_=_NextPart_001_01CAB0D0.AD4BE979--

That's what I want to see. The above is a properly formed MIME message
with structure

multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
        text/plain
        text/html
    application/pdf

I want to see the equivalent headers and boundaries from your message.
Then we will see if the fault is that the message is defective or
there is a MailScanner issue.