MailScanner + Zimbra...done :)

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Sun Feb 21 10:58:44 GMT 2010

On 21/02/2010, at 7:36 PM, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:

> ----- "James Gray" <james at gray.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just wanted to let everyone know I've re-done my MailScanner + Zimbra
>> integration.  Essentially, it's a routine postfix install, but there
>> are a couple of nasty surprises in Zimbra 6.0 (like header checks
>> being ignored:
>> http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/32949-solved-headerchecks.html)
>> and other silliness as a result of the amavis integration.  However,
>> with MailScanner I get faster, more accurate filtering, with far more
>> granularity than the default solution with Zimbra.  The down side is I
>> loose some of the internal reporting with Zimbra..but that's why we
>> have rrdtool/Cacti/MRTG/etc.  As part of the integration I did the
>> standard performance improvements: MailScanner work directories in
>> tmpfs, bayes/awl on SQL, sa-update, redirecting user-identified
>> spam/ham for training bayes etc, etc.  So I bit off a fair bit for a
>> one-step (sic), drop-in replacement.
>>
>> Just thought I'd post this for the sake of the archives; but getting
>> Zimbra to play nice with MailScanner and the other services on my
>> server was somewhat troublesome.  I can share the pain with those who
>> are interested.
>>
>> Kudos to Jules: without his hard work over many years, MailScanner
>> would never have matured to the robust, simply integrated solution it
>> is today!  Thanks!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> James
>
> James,
>
> so what have you done with respect to the integration ? I have MailScanner talking to Zimbra as well and use a Amavis policy-map to avoid double SA scanning.  I lifted the ldap-v*.cf from Zimbra to control LDAP address lookups and am using a central SQL store for Bayes.
>
> Next step will be to integrate MailWatch as a Zimlet; I have added a tab to ZCS just need to add the content ;)
>
> Happy to share thoughts and ideas.
>
> Thanks, Phil

Hi Phil,

Basically just used zmprov to turn off all the virus/spam/attachment scanning in zimbra.  Now amavis doesn't even start :)  Next was just install MailScanner and Julian's clamav/spamassassin installer as I've had problems with the Zimbra-ised versions of these during upgrades of Zimbra.

I haven't bothered looking into a zimlet for MailScanner although that sounds like a damn good idea - happy to be a beta tester.  As for the MailScanner config, I just left it all in the files, but if I were running a multi-server setup, I'd probably look at storing the config in LDAP (it was supported many eons ago in MailScanner - not sure if Jules kept it though).

I still use all the zimbra LDAP/Postfix/IMAP/POP3 fru-fru, but I haven't found an elegant way yet to pick up the mail users identify as ham/spam.  All I've done is told them to forward it to ham/spam at ....  Plug in a quick-and-dirty shell script that uses fetchmail and sa-learn, add it to a cron job and voila.  Fit for purpose, but damn ugly.

Cheers,

James