MailScanner + Zimbra...done :)

--[ UxBoD ]-- uxbod at splatnix.net
Sun Feb 21 08:36:04 GMT 2010

----- "James Gray" <james at gray.net.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wanted to let everyone know I've re-done my MailScanner + Zimbra
> integration.  Essentially, it's a routine postfix install, but there
> are a couple of nasty surprises in Zimbra 6.0 (like header checks
> being ignored:
> http://www.zimbra.com/forums/administrators/32949-solved-headerchecks.html)
> and other silliness as a result of the amavis integration.  However,
> with MailScanner I get faster, more accurate filtering, with far more
> granularity than the default solution with Zimbra.  The down side is I
> loose some of the internal reporting with Zimbra..but that's why we
> have rrdtool/Cacti/MRTG/etc.  As part of the integration I did the
> standard performance improvements: MailScanner work directories in
> tmpfs, bayes/awl on SQL, sa-update, redirecting user-identified
> spam/ham for training bayes etc, etc.  So I bit off a fair bit for a
> one-step (sic), drop-in replacement.
>
> Just thought I'd post this for the sake of the archives; but getting
> Zimbra to play nice with MailScanner and the other services on my
> server was somewhat troublesome.  I can share the pain with those who
> are interested.
>
> Kudos to Jules: without his hard work over many years, MailScanner
> would never have matured to the robust, simply integrated solution it
> is today!  Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

James,

so what have you done with respect to the integration ? I have MailScanner talking to Zimbra as well and use a Amavis policy-map to avoid double SA scanning.  I lifted the ldap-v*.cf from Zimbra to control LDAP address lookups and am using a central SQL store for Bayes.

Next step will be to integrate MailWatch as a Zimlet; I have added a tab to ZCS just need to add the content ;)

Happy to share thoughts and ideas.

Thanks, Phil