ArchiveMail question

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Feb 3 19:04:15 GMT 2010

On 03/02/2010 18:18, Brad Beckenhauer wrote:
> Running MailScanner  v4.78.17
> I'm filtering email for a listserver that has been running for 16+ years.
> The email server has two DNS records pointing to it.
> Record #1 is a proper MX record pointing to the MailScanner system
> Record #2 is a CNAME that points to the MX record. (ugly and I hate
> it, hence this email so I can get rid of the CNAME).
Note that an MX record cannot refer to a hostname described in a CNAME
record, only a hostname described in an A record. That's one of the
rules of DNS.
> Over the past couple of years, I've managed to get the vast majority
> of the list users to use the newer MX/host record.
> Now I want to get rid of the DNS CNAME and I'm considering using
> MailScanners ArchiveMail option to finish the job.
> The idea is to accept email to the CNAME (which the MTA already does)
> and then re-write the email and send it on to the ListServer using the
> new domain name.
> Since the email will be re-written, the List users will automatically
> start using the newer address when they reply to the next email from
> the list.  Eventually I should be able to drop the CNAME record from
> DNS if this works.
> Example using the _TOUSER_ syntax to re-write the email.
> ArchiveMail.rules
> To: *@OldHost.domain.org <mailto:*@OldHost.domain.org> forward
> _TOUSER_ at NewHost.domain.org <mailto:_TOUSER_ at NewHost.domain.org>
You can't put Spam Actions (or Non-Spam Actions) in a ruleset assigned
to "Archive Mail". Only in Spam Actions, Non-Spam Actions and
High-Scoring Spam Actions.

This is all explained in the documentation.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng

Need help customising MailScanner?