install mailscanner + postfix + freebsd (beginner)

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at trunknetworks.com
Fri Oct 16 08:57:37 IST 2009

On 16 Oct 2009, at 08:46, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

> I would like to be accurate and tell exactly what I did on my
> system. I tried to follow the guides here:
>
> http://www.mailscanner.info/postfix.html
>
> It tells:
>
>>   1. Install Postfix version 2 and get it all working.
>>   2. Stop Postfix using a command
>>      postfix stop
>>   3. Make sure you have the chroot jail set up in /var/spool/postfix.
>>      You should be able to see "etc", "usr" and "lib" directories
>>      inside /var/spool/postfix). If you haven't got the chroot jail
>>      setup already, then look in the "examples" directory of the
>>      Postfix documentation and you will find a script in there to set
>>      up it up for your operating system. If you can't find that, then
>>      see the "Problems or Errors" section further down this page.
>>   4. At this point, things change from the setup for other MTAs as we
>>      can make it run with just one copy of Postfix, and let Postfix
>>      do the "split MTA" setup for us.
>>   5. In the Postfix configuration file /etc/postfix/main.cf add this
>>      line:
>>      header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
>>   6. In the file /etc/postfix/header_checks add this line:
>>      /^Received:/ HOLD
>>      The effect of this is to tell Postfix to move all messages to
>>      the HOLD queue.
>>
> I'm done with #1, #2, #3. I'm not sure if I need to do anything for
> #4, I guess I do not. For #5: there is no /etc/postfix. No problem,
> I have used /usr/local/etc/postfix/header_checks instead. #6: Done.

Sounds fine to me.

> Next section from the docs:
>
>> In your MailScanner.conf file (probably in /etc/MailScanner or /opt/
>> MailScanner/etc), there are 5 settings you need to change. They are
>> all really near the top of the file. The settings are
>>
>>     Run As User = postfix
>>     Run As Group = postfix
>>     Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
>>     Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
>>     MTA = postfix
>>

> All right, it is in /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.
> Holy cow, that thing is 2977 lines long! :-)
>
> config file says:
>
> >Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
> >Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
>
> I do not even have /var/spool/MailScanner. Should I create it by hand?

Yes

> Will subdirectories be automatically created? Or should I also
> create them by hand?

Providing the permissions are correct (The directories you create
should be owned by the postfix user) you will need to only make the
top level directories, /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming, /var/spool/
MailScanner/quarantine, /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin, /var/
spool/MailScanner/archive (If you are archiving mail)

> Another question. The default config file says:
>
> > Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>
> Shouldn't I change it to /usr/local/sbin/sendmail? (Beacuse I'm
> using the postfix port...)

Did you install MS from the ports tree? If not then I would. It's been
updated now so /usr/ports/mail/mailscanner is at the latest & greatest
and it corrects paths for FreeBSD as part of the installation.

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content.
Our email policy can be found at www.trunknetworks.com/policy

Trunk Networks Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: SC351063
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ