install mailscanner + postfix + freebsd (beginner)

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Fri Oct 16 09:34:37 IST 2009

>> Will subdirectories be automatically created? Or should I also create
>> them by hand?
>
> Providing the permissions are correct (The directories you create
> should be owned by the postfix user) you will need to only make the
> top level directories, /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming,
> /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine,
> /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin, /var/spool/MailScanner/archive
> (If you are archiving mail)

mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine
mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin
mkdir -p /var/spool/MailScanner/archive
chown -R postfix:postfix /var/spool/MailScanner

Done:

>> Another question. The default config file says:
>>
>> > Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail
>>
>> Shouldn't I change it to /usr/local/sbin/sendmail? (Beacuse I'm using
>> the postfix port...)
>
> Did you install MS from the ports tree? If not then I would.
I did.

# pkg_info | grep MailScanner
MailScanner-4.78.9 Powerful virus/spam scanning framework for mail gateways

> It's been updated now so /usr/ports/mail/mailscanner is at the latest
> & greatest and it corrects paths for FreeBSD as part of the installation.

I should have known about mailwrapper, that uses mailer.conf to select
the right MTA:

# ls -l /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 21 Nov 17 2008 /usr/sbin/sendmail ->
/usr/sbin/mailwrapper

So MailScanner is configured now. But before I go live with this, I
still have some bad feedlings. For example, clamav and spamassassin
where both installed as dependencies. Do I need to configure them, or
can I start using mailscanner without further configuration?

Thank you for the quick help!

Laszlo