install mailscanner + postfix + freebsd (beginner)

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Fri Oct 16 08:46:40 IST 2009

I would like to be accurate and tell exactly what I did on my system. I
tried to follow the guides here:

http://www.mailscanner.info/postfix.html

It tells:

>    1. Install Postfix version 2 and get it all working.
>    2. Stop Postfix using a command
>       postfix stop
>    3. Make sure you have the chroot jail set up in /var/spool/postfix.
>       You should be able to see "etc", "usr" and "lib" directories
>       inside /var/spool/postfix). If you haven't got the chroot jail
>       setup already, then look in the "examples" directory of the
>       Postfix documentation and you will find a script in there to set
>       up it up for your operating system. If you can't find that, then
>       see the "Problems or Errors" section further down this page.
>    4. At this point, things change from the setup for other MTAs as we
>       can make it run with just one copy of Postfix, and let Postfix
>       do the "split MTA" setup for us.
>    5. In the Postfix configuration file /etc/postfix/main.cf add this
>       line:
>       header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
>    6. In the file /etc/postfix/header_checks add this line:
>       /^Received:/ HOLD
>       The effect of this is to tell Postfix to move all messages to
>       the HOLD queue.

I'm done with #1, #2, #3. I'm not sure if I need to do anything for #4,
I guess I do not. For #5: there is no /etc/postfix. No problem, I have
used /usr/local/etc/postfix/header_checks instead. #6: Done.

Next section from the docs:

> In your MailScanner.conf file (probably in /etc/MailScanner or
> /opt/MailScanner/etc), there are 5 settings you need to change. They
> are all really near the top of the file. The settings are
>
>      Run As User = postfix
>      Run As Group = postfix
>      Incoming Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/hold
>      Outgoing Queue Dir = /var/spool/postfix/incoming
>      MTA = postfix

All right, it is in /usr/local/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf. Holy
cow, that thing is 2977 lines long! :-)

config file says:

 >Incoming Work Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming
 >Quarantine Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/quarantine

I do not even have /var/spool/MailScanner. Should I create it by hand?
Will subdirectories be automatically created? Or should I also create
them by hand?

Another question. The default config file says:

 > Sendmail = /usr/sbin/sendmail

Shouldn't I change it to /usr/local/sbin/sendmail? (Beacuse I'm using
the postfix port...)

Sorry for being long. Thank you!

   Laszlo