.mat - Matlab v Microsoft Access Shortcut

Robert Lopez rlopezcnm at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:51:23 IST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/14 Robert Lopez <rlopezcnm at gmail.com>:
>> Is there a way to allow the block of .mat files except if they are Matlab files?
>>
> Yes, simply change the rule in filenames.rules.conf ... make it allow,
> or comment it out.
> The downside is that you'll allow the access shortcut thing.
>
> My users have a tendency to want this too, from time to time, but...
> it usually turns out it isn't for strictly business related stuff:-).
> So far, I haven't budged:-).
> Since the MatLab files are text (source code), they could just rename
> them, to circumvent the problem.
>
> Cheers
> --
> -- Glenn
> email: glenn < dot > steen < at > gmail < dot > com
> work: glenn < dot > steen < at > ap1 < dot > se

There are math, science, and engineering classes that use Matlab.
So in this case, they have a strong case.
I knew I could allow .mat
I have requested a sample .mat file and I am hoping I can modify the
linux (Ubuntu) file command to tell the difference between the uses.
But assuming I can get that to happen, I have not yet found how to
make that useful to MailScanner.

I did suggest the renaming, but it has become a political issue
escalated to administration.

--
Robert Lopez
Unix Systems Administrator