.mat - Matlab v Microsoft Access Shortcut

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 15:51:02 IST 2009

2009/10/15 Robert Lopez <rlopezcnm at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Glenn Steen <glenn.steen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/10/14 Robert Lopez <rlopezcnm at gmail.com>:
>>> Is there a way to allow the block of .mat files except if they are Matlab files?
>>>
>> Yes, simply change the rule in filenames.rules.conf ... make it allow,
>> or comment it out.
>> The downside is that you'll allow the access shortcut thing.
>>
>> My users have a tendency to want this too, from time to time, but...
>> it usually turns out it isn't for strictly business related stuff:-).
>> So far, I haven't budged:-).
>> Since the MatLab files are text (source code), they could just rename
>> them, to circumvent the problem.
>>
>> Cheers
>

> There are math, science, and engineering classes that use Matlab.
> So in this case, they have a strong case.
:-/

> I knew I could allow .mat
... which is all you can do. Nothing more, nothing less. You *could*
try do something like allow a specific pattern (say *_OK_.mat), demand
that they be put in an archive (and then don't check that) or similar,
but it is all ... bandaids...:(

> I have requested a sample .mat file and I am hoping I can modify the
> linux (Ubuntu) file command to tell the difference between the uses.

The file command has nothing to do with this, since it isn't the file
*type*, but rather the file *name*, that is the problem. Hence the
"override" pattern thing.
If there is a directionality to this (only from the inside to the
outside, for example) you could do some filename rules overloading to
"solve it". Or bite the bullet and allow .mat ... whichever is most
manageable and least risky.

> But assuming I can get that to happen, I have not yet found how to
> make that useful to MailScanner.
*If* this was a file type problem, which it isn't, it'd make
sense/work well immediately;-).
Alas, this is not the case, so don't spend too much time on that:-).

> I did suggest the renaming, but it has become a political issue
> escalated to administration.

That *might* be a good thing:-). If you lack, as so very many of us
do, a proper policy ("grounded" upstairs, so to speak), this might
actually get you one...;-D

The filename.rules.conf file is pretty well documented on the source
of the blockage (.mat, for example, originates from MicroSofts own
recommendations)... In case you need defend it:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn