Avira Antivir Update (V2 -> V3) and Mailscanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:15:34 IST 2009

2009/10/14 Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>:
> Hi,
>
> recently I installed the update of the CLI scanner from avira.
>
> The scanner is named "avscan" (Version 3.x) now and not "antivir"
> (Version 2.x) anymore.
>
> Are there any updates to the virus.scanners.conf regarding this update?
>
> I've tried to add and create some config files by myselve, but this did
> not work.
>
> I created a "antivir-V3-wrapper" file, set
>
> antivir-V3 /usr/lib/MailScanner/antivir-V3-wrapper /usr/lib/AntiVir
>
> in /etc/MailScanner/virus.scanners.conf and changed the main mailscaner
> config file changing antivir to antivir-V3.
>
> Mailscanner than reported there is no antivir-V3. I than renamed
> antivir-V3 to antivir in the configs. No error, but also no virus scanning.
>

> Any hints or suggestions?
>

> Regards,
>
>        Götz
You'd need do some perl hacking (SweepViruses.pm etc ... IIRC) to
introduce a new virus scanner (which is what you tried do with the
antivir-V3 thing).If I understood you correctly, you then tried
supplanting the antivir command in the antivir configuration wit the
avscan command? For that to work as expected, you'd need make sure it
has all the same parameters as the original (V2), and that it produces
(if nowhere else, in the wrapper script) the same output ... so that
what's in MS can interprete it correctly.

Probably easiest is to provide Jules with a copy of the new scanner
(fully functional!) and ... sit back and wait:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn