MailScanner install.sh script - reminders

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 8 15:27:28 IST 2009

On 08/10/2009 15:12, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:58:07PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
>
>> But that command could take an hour to run. A slightly better version
>> might be
>>     find /usr/lib/MailScanner /etc -x -type f -name '*.rpmnew' -print
>> but that will still list rpmnew files that are nothing to do with
>> MailScanner, which will just confuse a lot of users.
>>
>> I can't find a decent solution to this problem. Inexperienced users
>> won't understand the consequenes of getting any output from this
>> command, nor be able to separate the MailScanner-related rpmnew files
>> from the non-MailScanner ones. The experienced users can type this
>> command themselves anyway.
>>

> I don't understand. When I run the install.sh script on CentOS 5,
> I see near the end, output like
>
> ##warning: /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf created as /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.rpmnew
> ######warning: /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf created as /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf.rpmnew
> ##########################################
>
> As far as I know, there is one such 'warning' for every .rpmnew file
> that's created.

But it's only in log output. It's not put anywhere that is actually any
use for finding them automatically and easily. I ain't going to start
parsing log output from the rpm commands.
> The problem I had was some files such as /usr/sbin/update_spamassassin
> would be just overwritten instead of creating a .rpmnew. I work around
> this by having /usr/sbin/update_spamassassin.mas with my changes and
> putting MSSAUPDATE=/usr/sbin/update_spamassassin.mas in
> /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner.

But update_spamassassin is a script, which you aren't supposed to edit.
So it does get overwritten, by design.

> I deal with the .rpmnew files for files in which I have local changes
> with a manual process like
>
> mv MailScanner.conf.rpmnew MailScanner.conf.4.78.17
> diff -u MailScanner.conf.4.78.16 MailScanner.conf.4.78.17 | patch MailScanner.conf

Why not just use upgrade_MailScanner_conf like you're supposed to?
> The process of backup and compare is a bit different in detail for
> /usr/sbin/update_spamassassin because it doesn't get a .rpmnew, but
> it is essentially the same. It is not as important anyway because
> update_spamassassin rarely changes and even if it does, the old one
> probably still works.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng