MailScanner install.sh script - reminders

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 8 16:19:25 IST 2009

Julian Field wrote:

>On 08/10/2009 15:12, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand. When I run the install.sh script on CentOS 5,
>> I see near the end, output like
>>
>> ##warning: /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf created as /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.rpmnew
>> ######warning: /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf created as /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf.rpmnew
>> ##########################################
>>
>> As far as I know, there is one such 'warning' for every .rpmnew file
>> that's created.
>>
>But it's only in log output. It's not put anywhere that is actually any
>use for finding them automatically and easily. I ain't going to start
>parsing log output from the rpm commands.

Please note I'm not suggesting that anything be changed. I just don't
understand why anyone finds the current log output inadequate. It's
displayed on my terminal, and I can always "grep rpmnew install.log"
to see those specific entries.

>> The problem I had was some files such as /usr/sbin/update_spamassassin
>> would be just overwritten instead of creating a .rpmnew. I work around
>> this by having /usr/sbin/update_spamassassin.mas with my changes and
>> putting MSSAUPDATE=/usr/sbin/update_spamassassin.mas in
>> /etc/sysconfig/MailScanner.
>>
>But update_spamassassin is a script, which you aren't supposed to edit.
>So it does get overwritten, by design.

I'm not complaining. I understand that when I do things I'm not
supposed to do, that the consequences are my responsibility.

>> I deal with the .rpmnew files for files in which I have local changes
>> with a manual process like
>>
>> mv MailScanner.conf.rpmnew MailScanner.conf.4.78.17
>> diff -u MailScanner.conf.4.78.16 MailScanner.conf.4.78.17 | patch MailScanner.conf
>>
>Why not just use upgrade_MailScanner_conf like you're supposed to?

Because of

NOTE
====
To keep your old comments in your original file, add "--keep-comments"
to the command line.  Note that this will mean you don't get to find
out any extra new values you might be able to use in existing "improved"
configuration options.

and because I don't find it any easier or more convenient than my way.
(Note that I actually do an initial diff without the patch to see the
changes.)

Of course, now that most of my changes and all my comments are in an
included file, I may rethink this.