MailScanner install.sh script - reminders

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 8 15:12:16 IST 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 11:58:07PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> But that command could take an hour to run. A slightly better version
> might be
>    find /usr/lib/MailScanner /etc -x -type f -name '*.rpmnew' -print
> but that will still list rpmnew files that are nothing to do with
> MailScanner, which will just confuse a lot of users.
>
> I can't find a decent solution to this problem. Inexperienced users
> won't understand the consequenes of getting any output from this
> command, nor be able to separate the MailScanner-related rpmnew files
> from the non-MailScanner ones. The experienced users can type this
> command themselves anyway.

I don't understand. When I run the install.sh script on CentOS 5,
I see near the end, output like

##warning: /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf created as /etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf.rpmnew
######warning: /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf created as /etc/MailScanner/phishing.bad.sites.conf.rpmnew

As far as I know, there is one such 'warning' for every .rpmnew file
that's created.

The problem I had was some files such as /usr/sbin/update_spamassassin
would be just overwritten instead of creating a .rpmnew. I work around
this by having /usr/sbin/update_spamassassin.mas with my changes and
putting MSSAUPDATE=/usr/sbin/update_spamassassin.mas in
/etc/sysconfig/MailScanner.

I deal with the .rpmnew files for files in which I have local changes
with a manual process like

mv MailScanner.conf.rpmnew MailScanner.conf.4.78.17
diff -u MailScanner.conf.4.78.16 MailScanner.conf.4.78.17 | patch MailScanner.conf

The process of backup and compare is a bit different in detail for
/usr/sbin/update_spamassassin because it doesn't get a .rpmnew, but
it is essentially the same. It is not as important anyway because
update_spamassassin rarely changes and even if it does, the old one
probably still works.

--
Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro net       The highway is for gamblers,