Virus report and german umlaut

Jules Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 2 08:37:16 IST 2009

This behaviour is by design. I never include the original filename in
any reports unless I can be 100% sure that it is safe to do so. If you
want to see the original filename, look at the message in the
quarantine. You would be amazed by the security problems you open
yourself up to by using user input in any of your software's output,
without sanitising it first!

On 02/10/2009 07:53, Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got an error while sending an attachement with a "double" filename
> extension. This is correct as mailscanner is configured to check and
> disinfect this.
>
> But, the filename showen in the report is somehow confusing as it is not
> the real name of the file:
>
> Report: Achtung: MailScanner: Attempt to hide real filename extension
> (Basiskurs Einf.pdf)
>
> The realname is
>
> Basiskurs Einführung IT 2009 - 2010.key.pdf
>
> So there is may be a problem with the german umlaut.
>
> Bug? Feature? or misconfiguration?
>
> mailscanner-4.78.17-1
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga)
> perl-5.8.8-27.el5
>

> Thanks an best regards,
>
> 	Götz

Jules