virus scan not available -> no virus check!

Rick Cooper rcooper at dwford.com
Tue Nov 24 03:23:41 GMT 2009

----Original Message----
From: mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info
[mailto:mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info] On Behalf Of Frank
Cusack Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 8:56 PM To:
mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info Subject: virus scan not available -> no
virus check!

> I can't believe this is the default behavior.  Also, I can't find a
> way to change it.
>
>> Nov 23 18:09:05 localhost MailScanner[26984]: Virus and Content
>> Scanning: Starting Nov 23 18:09:05 localhost MailScanner[26997]: Cannot
>> find Socket (/tmp/clamd.socket) Exiting!
>
> and then mailscanner goes on to bless the email as "clean".  Note that
> I do not have virus scanning set to "auto", I have it explicitly set
> to "clamd".
>
> My preferred behavior would be to send an email to postmaster (or
> whoever) at some regular interval if the virus scanner is not available.
> Anyway to get some semblance of that configured?
>
> -frank

As with any Daemon including MailScanner it's self you should have some kind
of monitoring installed that restarts and notifies you that is not
MailScanner's job. Should it send an email for each issue with all externals
and internals to the postmaster? It did the best thing I could think of, it
issues an error to the log and moves on. I guess it could shut MailScanner
down I suppose. It would appear to be a configuration error since clam
doesn't remove it's socket if it crashes and MailScanner --lint would have
caught it. Monit, Webmin, PingClamd.pl in a cron job, some kind of
monitoring should be in place for both ClamD and MailScanner it's self, and
what ever mta you are using...

Rick

believed to be clean.