SOLVED in 7.2: Perl problems on FreeBSD (again)

Mog lists at elasticmind.net
Sun Nov 15 14:03:34 GMT 2009

Hi,

I followed the procedure you described exactly. I'm guessing the other
people who are experiencing the same problem did the same thing as well
(as mentioned on the ports mailing list). I'm using that exact version
of perl you mentioned and used the perl-after-upgrade call as always. As
it turns out, to get the mail server back up and running again I had to
revert to the packaged version perl-5.10.0_2.tbz and ignore the upgrade
(like last time this happened).

I can only assume that either you did something extra we haven't to make
it work, or ... Actually there is no or, I'm out of ideas. I have no
idea why it should work for a few people but not dozens of others
(unless you're using portmaster and we're using portupgrade or
something). Nor do I know what actually is the cause of the problem.

I can't see any logical reason why every so often a perl upgrade will
cause MailScanner to break. Presumably either it's a recurring problem
with the FreeBSD port, the upgrade process, or within perl itself.

Regards,
mog