SOLVED in 7.2: Perl problems on FreeBSD (again)

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at trunknetworks.com
Sun Nov 15 18:18:54 GMT 2009

On 15 Nov 2009, at 14:03, Mog wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I followed the procedure you described exactly. I'm guessing the
> other people who are experiencing the same problem did the same
> thing as well (as mentioned on the ports mailing list). I'm using
> that exact version of perl you mentioned and used the perl-after-
> upgrade call as always. As it turns out, to get the mail server back
> up and running again I had to revert to the packaged version
> perl-5.10.0_2.tbz and ignore the upgrade (like last time this
> happened).

Yup, same here. Make sure you continue to be vigilant when running
portupgrade again or else you will be right back again.

> I can only assume that either you did something extra we haven't to
> make it work, or ... Actually there is no or, I'm out of ideas. I
> have no idea why it should work for a few people but not dozens of
> others (unless you're using portmaster and we're using portupgrade
> or something). Nor do I know what actually is the cause of the
> problem.

I have upgraded to 5.10.1 and had to roll back too. I have no idea
what could be causing the issue but it's a right pain.

> I can't see any logical reason why every so often a perl upgrade
> will cause MailScanner to break. Presumably either it's a recurring
> problem with the FreeBSD port, the upgrade process, or within perl
> itself.

It's not a problem within the same version but every so often a new
version pops out and having gone through the upgrade, then
reinstalling all the p5-* ports (portupgrade -f p5-* I always do that
as I don't find the the perl-after-upgrade script does the job fully
but then I have never run it with the -f option so I'll try that next
time) to find that something borks MS and then you have to downgrade
again is a right pain :-(

I really like FreeBSD but I just can't see what is causing this to
happen. Surely perl is perl and therefore it should work for everyone
or no one? Or have I missed something (Probably!)?

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content.
Our email policy can be found at www.trunknetworks.com/policy

Trunk Networks Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: SC351063
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ