Problem with SQLite detection

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 29 10:12:56 IST 2009

On 28/05/2009 16:54, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Just came back from vacation and updated MailScanner on the first machine.
> It started barking about SQLite. I had to disable the SA cache db and the
> processing-messages database.
>
> First some observations which might call for slight improvements:
>
> It took me some time to find the correct config line to disable it. The
> error mentions "processing-messages database", but the config doesn't
> contain this sequence at all. I suggest either renaming the error message
> to point to "Processing Attempts Database" (which would go to the next
> config line) or mentioning "processing-messages database" in the
> description of the "Maximum Processing Attempts" config option.
>
> Also, I got a bit confused first by the wording "Set this to 0 to disable
> the limit.". I mean, even if disabled MS could still track and use the db.
> It might help to rephrase it to "Set this to 0 to disable the limit and
> the Processing Attempts Database."
>
> MailScanner --lint reports:
> DBD::SQLite initialisation failed: Can't locate object method "driver" via
> package "DBD::SQLite" at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux-
> thread-multi/DBI.pm line 770.
>
> Perhaps the capitalisation of DBD 'SQLite' isn't right. at
> /usr/sbin/MailScanner line 1684
>
> And then the --lint errors out at this stage and doesn't finish. Should it
> really do this?

Many thanks for all that. As a result I have improved the --lint check
considerably and fixed all the log text relating to this database.
> Now for the problem itself.
> It seems the problem may lie in the rpmforge-packaged module I use. If I
> downgrade the new version 1.25 to the old available version 1.14
> MailScanner -v starts detecting DBD::SQLite again and the use of the
> databases works.
> I notice "6-4 Corrected DBD-SQLite packaging error." in the changelog.
> Jules, could this have anything to do with the problem? I mean did you
> correct a problem from upstream or in your own packaging only?

It was just my packaging of it. It was superceded by the move to 1.25
anyway.
> In order to find the nature of the change in the rpmforge packages it
> might be helpful to know how the detection of the modules in MailScanner
> -v works. Thanks.

It just does a "require" on the module and then prints the
$Module::Name::VERSION value, which is the version number extracted from
the Perl code of the module. Every Perl package defines a variable
called VERSION.

I ended up having to go to 1.25 or else it would not build properly on a
whole bunch of CentOS 4 systems.

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP CEng